1.The patent for nail polish dates back to 1919. It was light pink.
2. Roman women used belladonna drops to make their pupils look larger and sexier. Of course, belladonna is a poison so this practice didn’t last too long.
3. The Aztecs used beetles to make red lipstick.
4. Elizabeth Taylor allegedly banned other women on-set from wearing red lipstick.
5. Depending on when and where you were at the time, use of makeup either designated your wealth or your poor morals – it’s changed many, many times over the course of history.
6. Cleopatra was said to have soaked her ship sails in perfume so everyone could smell her arrival. Talk about having a signature scent
7. MAC was founded by two men named Frank in 1985.
8. Feminists like Elizabeth Cady Stanton wore lipstick as a symbol of freedom from oppression when they marched for the right to vote.
9. More women began to shave their underarm hair after seeing a model with shaved armpits in a fashion ad in 1915.
10. Women have often made their own beauty marks with patches of black velvet.
Click HERE to check out our Level 2 Beauty Therapy Course.