So, you’re probably here reading this blog post because you’ve finally decided that you want to become a beauty therapist full time? Great choice! A beauty therapist’s role is primarily to look after a client’s appearance and give them a pampered experience.
Working as a beauty therapist can open a wide realm of opportunities and allow you to connect with people from all walks of life on a daily basis every time you come into work.
It definitely is s a dynamic career choice that will have you frequently up on your feet whilst having the privilege of making people feel pampered and beautiful.
Ray Cochrane Beauty School is the first beauty school in Britain to teach the CIDESCO accredited course. We’re renowned for our high-quality education, we specialize in teaching smaller classes to make sure that every student gets the attention they deserve.
We offer the VTCT/NVQ Level 2 Beauty Therapy Diploma and VTCT/NVQ Level 3 Beauty Therapy Diploma for those who want to launch their beauty career on the right foot. If you’re a people person and naturally get on well with people, then you are in the right place.
We are the highest-rated beauty school in the UK having opened our doors in 1954 provided the best of beauty education to our students whilst offering flexible payment options with Divido for those who are unable to pay the course fees outright.
You may be asking what exactly does a beauty therapist do on a day-to-day basis?
A beauty therapist’s role is to replenish people’s skin to full health and maintain their wellbeing. They provide non-medical treatments to the face and body to relax and pamper clients. Beauty therapists carry out a variety of treatments for clients in the salon such as waxing, facials, lash and brow treatments, performing massage therapy such as reflexology and aromatherapy and the role can include up-selling skincare products to provide aftercare for the customer.
There are many essential qualities you need to have to become a successful beauty therapist:
- Clean and polished appearance
- Great customer service – you should want to provide the very best service to your clients
- Empathetic and understanding – making clients feel comfortable is a vital part of the role.
- Professional attitude
- Creative and artistic – this is especially needed if you are carrying out nail treatment to design nail art.
- Time management skills – this is key as you may have to balance several clients at once or be time conscious when carrying out treatments to ensure you finish in time for your next client.
Once you’ve determined that becoming if you have the right attributes to become a beauty therapist, you can now get started on your journey to becoming a fully accredited beauty therapist.
Getting the right training
You will need to get the right education that the theoretical knowledge needed. The VTCT/NVQ Level 2 Beauty Therapy Diploma will teach you an expansive range of skills, giving you a well-rounded scope of knowledge of beauty therapy. We aim to make you as well rounded as possible so when you head out into the working world you can be employed in a variety of areas.
This course will teach you:
- Two methods of waxing (hot wax and strip wax) – These two methods vary in accordance with what part of the body you will be removing hair from.
- Facial massage and skincare – you will learn the practical steps to performing massages to release tension and provide a relaxing, calming experience for clients.
- Nail treatments
- Eyelash and eyebrow tinting/shaping
- Health, safety and hygiene of the workplace – Cleanliness and visuals are what the customer will first see when they encounter your workspace so we make sure you give a glowing first impression.
- Client care and consultation
- Consultation techniques, reception duties and retail skills – In the salon, you will be working with people all day so conducting yourself and the salon’s services in the right manner is a major component of any successful beauty therapist’s career.
Stepping foot into the world of work
We understand that despite learning all the knowledge in the classroom, to feel confident in your abilities as a beauty therapist you will need to be in the real world with real clients. This is why we offer the public the opportunity to come into our student beauty salon every Thursday from 9:30am to 7:30pm.
Students are able to practice all the skills they learned in their classes which is important so they feel fully equipped to be the best they can be in the world of work. We train our students to become experts of therapeutic body and skincare treatments and working with real-life clients will help give them the chance to grow in their professional skills in client care and consultation.
We also acknowledge that career development is a massive element in beauty therapy. You don’t have to worry about being stuck in one place as you can climb up the career ladder. You can progress as a beauty therapist by completing the VTCT/NVQ Level 3 Beauty Therapy Diploma which includes anatomy and physiology, body massage, facial electrotherapy, and body electrotherapy. Completing this diploma will allow you to go for roles with a higher salary as you will know how to do more treatments which will increase your career prospects from just qualifying as a junior beauty therapist to becoming a fully-fledged beauty therapist.
If you have your eyes set on higher then you can go onto study the VTCT Level 4 Certificate in Laser and IPL Treatments. This will allow you to develop further in your career to perform laser and IPL treatments on clients. Not only that, you will be qualified to be a spa manager which means you can be in charge of the ins and outs of your own salon one day!
If you’re interested in staying on top of trends, you can take out VTCT Level 4 Certificate in Microblading course which will take you through all the practical and theoretical knowledge to master the art of microblading – a booming field amongst beauty treatments today. You will also learn how to safely and correctly carry out microblading treatments on clients who are seeking the appearance of fuller brows.
So, what are you waiting for? Get in touch with us today on 0203 856 8886 or email us on email@example.com to find out more information, ask any questions you may have and book yourself onto our next intake of the VTCT Level 2 Beauty Diploma course.